Saturday, February 8, 2014

Ancient History

2002-2004 
In between attending college in Canada, I spent my summers working at the Hui Noeau Visual Arts Center in Makawao, Maui.  I helped run the summer art camp and assisted all teachers in their lessons and classroom management.  I observed and befriended several master instructors (and also kept a few classes with ill-prepared teachers from falling apart!)

2005-2006 
I worked at Hike Maui, a tour company that takes visitors on hikes in some of Maui's most scenic areas.  We shared the natural and cultural history of the island with the visitors along the way.

I also volunteered with Wild Hawaii, a nonprofit that took school groups out to learn about the indigenous plants and animals, and various ecosystems.

Meanwhile I also taught through the Art Exploratory program at both Haiku Elementary and Kula Elementary Schools.  The program allowed me to teach 8-week projects to several grade levels.  I covered K, 3rd, and 4th grade.  At Kula Elementary School, my own alma mater, I taught in the classroom of several teachers who would soon jointly create Pomaika'i Elementary School, the only arts integrated elementary school in Hawaii.