Saturday, February 8, 2014

2009: Post Gallery Life

In 2009 I moved my gallery to a studio and began working with various arts education programs.  
I returned to the Hui No'eau Visual Arts Center as an instructor, teaching in their spring and summer childrens' programs.


In one class we created an artwork showing the ecosystems and native plants and animals of Maui. This painting is by a young girl who had a very hard time integrating with the other students and maintaining focus. With this project, however, she became very focused on drawing the birds and plants of Maui, and created this beautiful piece showing the top of the volcano, Haleakala. She continued drawing these elements once the project was done, demonstrating a strong connection to the experience.


With my older elementary students I challenged them to create a comic expressing the plight of Hawaii's native forest birds. I brought in an expert from the East Maui Watershed Partnership to share her knowledge while I shared with them the basics of the comic medium.
This painting was entered into the Malama Wao O Akua art show, an exhibit of professional and student work on the theme of native plants and animals of Hawaii. It won the Art of Conservation award, awarded out of all work in the show, professional and student.  It beat out my own painting!