Thursday, March 19, 2015

21st Century Skills, Technology, and standing Bloom on his Head

This is a video project I did as a part of my coursework for my teaching credential through Teach Now's online project-based program.
Our essential question for this project: How can we use technology to teach 21st Century Skills?
Creativity, Collaboration, Critical Thinking, and Communication are essential parts of learning for the quickly-changing world we live in--and an area of education where I tend to get excited.

This video has two parts.  The first section is a cut-out animation of my philosophy for integrating technology and 21st Century Skills.  From the 1:55 time mark I cover several apps and online tools that could be used to creatively and collaboratively research, collaborate, problem solve, and publish a project, in this case, relating to 4th grade Social Studies curriculum about pre-contact Hawaiian culture.  In re-viewing my project, I feel that, with scaffolding, 4th graders could do it, but that it is very applicable to a middle school environment.